Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Grandfather and Socrates

As I work on Grandfather's Stories, I'm spending more time on the thoughts of Socrates and the propriety and impropriety of writing. Somewhat ironic, since I'm writing things down about the benefits of not writing things down.

How do I know these stories are true? Oh, that is simple: they were never spoiled by the letters made by pen and ink, which steals the voice of the storyteller and the memory of the listener. As one Grandfather told his Grandchildren, the impropriety of writing is that it creates forgetfulness in our souls, atrophies our memories, and causes us to trust external written characters instead of our own recollections. No, my Grandchildren, since these are memories and not books, I know they are true.

No comments:

Post a Comment