Friday, November 20, 2009

An Interview with Grandfather

Jeff Kleinman suggested a good technique to get into a fictional character's head: interview him or her about a terribly mundane subject, and then keep asking questions. Here's my first interview with Grandfather.

So, Grandfather, paper or plastic?

Paper, for sure. The texture, the smell of rough brown paper… why would you trade that for white and crinkly? Though the latter is better for picking up dog poop.

You seem to be drawn to the sense of smell - I hear that in your stories and your discussion with the Grandchildren. Is smell the most important sense?

Is that what you think?

I’m interviewing you.

OK, well, in my opinion, it’s not the most important sense because there is no “most important” sense. They are all so vital to how we encounter the world. That said, I find that smell often awakes my memories much more vividly than sight, touch, hearing, or even taste.

Why do you think that is so?

Well, that is the most interesting question you’ve asked so far. We live in a world where we trust what our eyes see so much, that we accept what we see without thinking, even though most anything can be (and often is) reproduced so that it is more “real” than reality itself. The same rings true for sound. Don’t believe me? Go watch a modern movie, and hear the sights and sounds of battle digitally produced (not reproduced) so realistically that you can almost believe you are there.

Almost?

Almost. Because without the other senses, you can’t truly experience the battle. You can’t feel the heat of the flames, the grit of the breastplate’s straps, or the weight of your shield, helmet, and sword. And you can’t smell the smoke, the sweat, the blood, or (forgive my bluntness), the awful smell of voided bowels.

So why smell and not touch?

I really don’t know, though I know that surprises you.

What do you mean?

You’ve imagined me as omniscient. I’m not.

No comments:

Post a Comment